What You Will Need for Despicable Me Minion Cupcakes:
- Twinkies, halved. If you are making a dozen you’ll need six Twinkies
- There are several ways to make the eyes: Smarties with a black frosting dot, Wilton Decorator Eyes or all frosting.
- Black icing tube for details
- Blue (or whatever color you want) frosting or icing. Color with food coloring.
- Bake and frost your cupcakes as usual. (Recipe below...courtesy of bhg.com)
- Cut Twinkies in half and lay on the flat side on a plate. It will be easier to decorate this way.
- Squeeze two circles of icing/frosting on the Twinkies in the place where you will put the Smarties glasses.
- Press the Smarties into the icing/frosting and some of it will smoosh out and make it look like the glasses are rimmed. Make two dots for the eyes in the glasses.
- Draw lines for the sides of the glasses. Draw a mouth and stick chocolate jimmies into the top of the Twinkies for hair. Gently press the Twinkie into the frosted cupcake. And done!
Simple White Cupcakes with Creamy Frosting
1 teaspoon l.c. finns vanilla
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium to high speed about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about half full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups and cool completely on wire rack. Generously spread Creamy Frosting over cupcakes. Makes 12 cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*To make sour milk:
Place 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a 1-cup glass measure. Add enough milk to equal 1/2 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
To soften the cream cheese for the frosting, let it stand at room temperature about 30 minutes. Or, place it in a microwave-safe container and microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) about 10 seconds or until softened.
Place frosted cupcakes in an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. For longer storage, keep unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw frozen cupcakes at room temperature for 1 hour before frosting. Store frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
4ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon l.c. finns vanilla
- In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Leave a comment